Blog Post #3: Free Expression and Social Media

Social Media was built to exemplify two core values of free expression: Promoting Innovation (Jack Balkin) and Individual Self-Fulfillment (C. Edwin Baker). But the reality of today is that those same platforms of free speech are being trampled by the ability to profit.

The internet has enabled people to connect all over the world. That's where the emphasis of technology started: ”a common information space in which we communicate by sharing information” (Tim Berners-Lee, 1998).

Blog websites, forums, emailing, phone calls, texts— those were the staples of the early days of technology. No more letters that took weeks to deliver on horseback. Ideas and thoughts could be shared almost instantly. And it was clear the effect it had on innovation and community.

For example, when my required school art class forced me to spend an hour staring at a pile of fruit and ten minutes picking charcoal out from under my fingernails, I was hardly inspired. Online, however, I found artists who shared my distaste for academic art, learned tips, and developed my own style.

As cringe as it is for me to consider my digital footprint from middle school, I can’t deny it was essential to my personal self discovery. I still remember my old account on [REDACTED] (see the ‘human dignity’ part of Individual Self-Fulfillment).

Early TikTok initially carried that same torch. During lockdown, it became the creative platform, thriving on dances, art, mini-lessons on world history, psychology breakdowns, or people coding Minecraft inside Minecraft. It felt like everyone had an equal opportunity to share ideas.


Then, everything changed when the fire nation attacked. I mean— when TikTok Shop was introduced. Cory Doctorow described this exact transition: "first, platforms are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers." Sound familiar? Today, you can't scroll past four videos without hitting an advertisement.

An interior design video now includes an Amazon wishlist link, a mini-lesson on the Grand Canyon has a Bloom ad in the background, and instead of creative content, I’m fed "restock" videos that urge me to buy a backpack for my Stanley cup.
 
This focus on profit has invaded these spaces of self expression and innovation, corrupting free speech:

Promoting Innovation falls to the wayside in favor of marketing. On platforms like Temu and Amazon, you can see the lack of new ideas. It’s just hundreds of the exact same product made by different manufacturers (with varying levels of poor quality). Instead of a new invention, we get water bottle accessories just to make more money.

Individual Self-Fulfillment turns into assimilation. Instead of causally exploring to discover your personal interests, aggressive marketing drives you to feel bad for not owning a product. Individuality is replaced by pressure to conform— I buy a Stanley cup not because it fits in my cupholder and keeps me hydrated all day (I promise I’m not sponsored); but because I’m relentlessly told I should.
 
Profit itself isn’t the issue. The issue is that corporate sponsorship now manipulates speech. Slowly, the emphasis on individuality and creativity becomes a uniform— even predictable— market where free speech drowns under the voice of profit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #4: EOTO — Traffic Signals

Blog Post #1: Top 5 News Sources